OA116 Bass and mid drivers

Ställ frågor, diskutera och prata om Sonab och deras produkter.
Ask questions, discuss and talk about Sonab and their products.
JoelRiehl
(50+ posts)
(50+ posts)

OA116 Bass and mid drivers

Post by JoelRiehl »

I am about to pull my recently acquired OA 116s apart for restoration. I got them hooked up temporarily and they work. The bass seemed a bit thin - maybe that's because I had jumper wires with alligator clips hooked to one pin each of the XLR jacks (being unable to locate a female 4-pin XLR locally). It looks as if the speakers have been opened before - there is some sloppy sealant work around the bottom of one, and a flashlight inspection reveals a gap around the woofer - and no "Sonab" logo on the center. It is possible the original units have been replaced.

I see that the Peerless sc 165 seems to be available only in 8 ohm configuration now - even through hifikit.se - and of course the oa 116 uses 5.3 ohm and 16 ohm drivers - everything BUT the 8 ohm driver. The midrange drivers at the top appear to be original, so I could fit those with new foam surrounds and call it good - but if the bottom woofers have been replaced with something else, I will have to buy the Peerless drivers and alter the filter to compensate for the impedence. What is involved with this? Does anybody have experience doing it? What are my options here?
Russ
(200+ posts)
(200+ posts)

Re: OA116 Bass and mid drivers

Post by Russ »

One option is to buy Silver FluteW17RC38-04 for the bass.

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/si ... wool-cone/

No need to change the filter.

Plug and play!
JoelRiehl
(50+ posts)
(50+ posts)

Post by JoelRiehl »

Awesome! Thanks! I took a closer look today, and the woofers are sporting the Sonab logo - so maybe they are ok. We'll see. But thanks much for the option.

Edit: One of the speakers appeared to be shot - one of the wires was pulled from the cone and there was other minor cone damage - so it looks like I will be buying those new drivers.
JoelRiehl
(50+ posts)
(50+ posts)

Post by JoelRiehl »

I just searched SC165 on hifikit.se and it directed me to the Silver Flute. I ran the write-up through Babylon translator and it says no filter modification necessary due to the slightly lower impedance. I'm going with a pair. Thanks again.
nazze
(40+ posts)
(40+ posts)

Post by nazze »

An alternative (for some money) is this
http://www.carlssonkult.se/OA116F.aspx
New floorplate for 8" woofers.
Compered with my original 116 and they do well. Both pairs with the 1979 filter update.
Best of luck with your work....
JoelRiehl
(50+ posts)
(50+ posts)

Post by JoelRiehl »

Those are nice. Thanks for the tip. I am having the filters checked and upgraded with film caps. I got the silver flute woofers for the bottom end, and am refinishing the cabinets myself. I milled and fitted new edge trim. The mids I am leaving alone (not much I can do with those anyway) - and also the tweeters for now. I really appreciate all the support and good information on here.