OA-14 Questions

Ställ frågor, diskutera och prata om Carlssonhögtalare och tillbehör.
Ask questions, discuss and talk about Carlsson loudspeakers and accessories.
Bob B
(15+ posts)
(15+ posts)

OA-14 Questions

Post by Bob B »

Hi,
Sorry for my shortcomings..., I only speak english.

I purchased a pair of OA-14's yesterday. Nice. I've emailed one of the American distributors of the Peerless mid bass asking about purchasing a pair of drivers. SC-165 correct? I dont see this number listed on the distributor's sight.

Can somebody tell me how the tweeter jumpers on the top board work on these speakers? What position does what?

Also, and setup suggestions would be greatly appreciated. My old speakers were way out in the room. The OA-14's sound good there, but the imaging is very diffuse. will moving them closer to the wall help with center fill?

Thanks everyone. This is my first post to the forums....

Bob B.  :lol:
Stefan Björklund
(1235+ posts)
(1235+ posts)

Re: OA-14 Questions

Post by Stefan Björklund »

Hi Bob

If you have some basic knowledge of crossover design, this picture will clearify the functionality of the OA14 jumper...
http://carlssonplanet.com/forum/album_s ... pic_id=209

The OA14 should be placed close to the wall (woofer closest to the wall)

The woofer part nr. is P831881 be shure to get the 8 ohm version for your OA14 (there is also a 5.6 and a 16 Ohm version)

/Stefan
CarlssonPlanet Moderator Team Leader

Spelar på Larsen och Carlsson
Stefan Björklund
(1235+ posts)
(1235+ posts)

Hi once more   :D

Downdoad this document (it is actually for the big brother OA116, but will give you some hints about speaker placement etc.)

http://carlssonplanet.com/forum/pafiled ... 116eng.pdf

/Stefan

Stefan Björklund
(1235+ posts)
(1235+ posts)

More info if you have not already found it yourself...
http://www.carlssonplanet.com/ShowPage.asp?p=oa14

/Stefan

Bob B
(15+ posts)
(15+ posts)

Post by Bob B »

avr7000 @ Sun Nov 28, 2004 4:04 pm wrote:Hi Bob

If you have some basic knowledge of crossover design, this picture will clearify the functionality of the OA14 jumper...
http://carlssonplanet.com/forum/album_s ... pic_id=209

The OA14 should be placed close to the wall (woofer closest to the wall)

The woofer part nr. is P831881 be shure to get the 8 ohm version for your OA14 (there is also a 5.6 and a 16 Ohm version)

/Stefan
Hi Stefan,
thanks for responding. I dont read schematics well. I also am not sure how the schematic relates to the jumper holes on my speakers. I guess I still dont understand, but, thanks for trying.

As for the Peerless P831881; It is not shown in the American distributors catalog. I'm also not seeing it on the Peerless website. Any idea what's going on here? Has the part been superceded?

Thx,
Bob B
Stefan Björklund
(1235+ posts)
(1235+ posts)

As for the Peerless P831881... It's new and I think your American distributor has to make a special order for it since it's only used in Carlsson-speakers...

/Stefan

Stefan Björklund
(1235+ posts)
(1235+ posts)

Hi Bob...

As for the schematic...

There are 4 holes in your speaker, corresponding to the grey, red, orange and brown dot in the schematic. This gives you 3 possible positioning alternatives for the jumper...

* jumper between orange and brown: - damping resistors bypassed, - max tweeter level...

* jumper between red and orange: - a 1.8 Ohm resistor in series with the tweeters, -mid setting for tweeter level...

* jumper between grey and red: a 1.8 and a 2.2 Ohm (4 Ohm) resistor in series with the tweeters, -min setting for tweeter level...

It's quite easy to hear the differance between the different settings. Just try different settings and find out the proper one for your room (the one you thinks sounds the best)...

Regards

/Stefan

Martin Dellstig
Co-Editor
Co-Editor

Post by Martin Dellstig »

Hello!

The Carlsson SC-165/B65oa is not in Peerless standard catlogue. If you can't find it locally I advice you to contact Hifikit in Stockholm. The stock this unit and do business abroad.

http://www.hifikit.se/prod_bilder/peerlesssc165.jpg
This is the actual unit we are talking about.

Good luck

Martin
Jag vet inte, vet du?
drymartini2
(1+ posts)
(1+ posts)

Post by drymartini2 »

You can order the SC-165 Midbass Driver from Madisound. I recently ordered 4 of them. They will bring them in with their next shipment from Peerless. Mine took about 2 months to get here. My OD-11's sound great now and I will soon receive a pair of OA-14's that will be brought up to date as well. Any information you have on OA-14's and the upgrading process will be welcome. I will be changing all the tweeters in mine to CT62's (also available from Madisound).
Bob B
(15+ posts)
(15+ posts)

Post by Bob B »

thanks Martin, and drymartini2! Madisound is going to order the drivers from Peerless for me. 1 month delivery quoted. $43 a piece. I can hardly wait!

Martini man, good luck with the OA-14's. With the new mid bass drivers mine will be functionally perfect and somewhere between 7 and 8 out of 10 in appearance. Let me know how the tweeters work out? I'm considering the same....

Bob B.