OA5 type 2 only plays upside down?

Ställ frågor, diskutera och prata om Sonab och deras produkter.
Ask questions, discuss and talk about Sonab and their products.
chrismact
(1+ posts)
(1+ posts)

OA5 type 2 only plays upside down?

Post by chrismact »

Hello,

I'm new to the forum/cult and just got my first pair of OA5 type 2, a sonab homebuilt kit.

I have the strangest issue I can't figure out - one of the speakers only plays upside down. I checked the wiring and compared to the working speaker, and I can't find the issue. Around 90 degrees it cuts out, but works again when turned upside down once again.

This has me thinking it's a gravity issue, but all connections are clean and happy.

Anyone heard of an issue like this before?

Chris
Attachments
IMG_1884.JPG
IMG_1885.JPG
IMG_1886.JPG
johanncerecke
(1+ posts)
(1+ posts)

Re: OA5 type 2 only plays upside down?

Post by johanncerecke »

Hey there, I encountered this phenomenon with a pair of Tannoys. One of them would only play face down. Turned out to be the voice coil. It had been overheated and damaged and was binding. Turning the speaker face down allowed gravity to assist and made it work again, although it sounded pretty bad. I priced a new driver from Tannoy, $1000 thanks very much. So now I’m going to try and re-wind the coil myself.
Hopefully this isn’t your issue, as it will require replacing the driver, fingers crossed it’s just a loose connection somewhere. Let us know if you ever got it resolved.