OA-116 on the fritz

Ställ frågor, diskutera och prata om Sonab och deras produkter.
Ask questions, discuss and talk about Sonab and their products.
JoelRiehl
(50+ posts)
(50+ posts)

OA-116 on the fritz

Post by JoelRiehl »

My son has a pair of OA-116 that I refurbished 8 years ago. The right speaker suddenly quit working today - whole thing, no sound. Of course he swapped right and left on the receiver to make sure it wasn't the receiver. When he removed the top he found a damaged wire (rodent damage? Tool damage?) and repaired that, upon which the speaker started working again - and then stopped again. I've recommended he look at the solder connections on the speaker binding posts that I put in. He's having a hard time getting the bottom off the speaker. (As I recall it has a good bead of sealant, or some tape - I can't remember which.)

Question: What things could make the whole unit go silent like that? (I thought maybe a fuse - but there doesn't appear to be any protection circuit.)

Also, while I was poking around with him I noticed something I had either not noticed, or had forgotten: jumpers in a couple different places - a red one and a blue one on the tweeter base. Has anybody documented how the positions of these change the sound?

Thank you in advance Carlsson community.
MattsG
(10+ posts)
(10+ posts)

Re: OA-116 on the fritz

Post by MattsG »

Hi! No there is not any fuse in the speaker.. I suggest to apart the speaker starting with the top and mark every wire correctly. then take the speaker so the botton is over the egde of a table and tap carefully on the top (after removing the screws ofc).. then its just start to measure with a multimeter if he cannot see the problem...Should be easy to find.. There can be oxide on the XLR connector in the speaker as well A common problem but easy to fix...
JoelRiehl
(50+ posts)
(50+ posts)

Re: OA-116 on the fritz

Post by JoelRiehl »

Matts,
Thank you for the reply! Got the speaker apart. Nothing obvious. Will try testing connections. There is a shop here that might be able to help too.