OA-14 specs

Ställ frågor, diskutera och prata om Sonab och deras produkter.
Ask questions, discuss and talk about Sonab and their products.
starkiller
(30+ posts)
(30+ posts)

OA-14 specs

Post by starkiller »

I posted this a few hours ago but does not seem to be there so here it is again..anyone know what the sensitivity of the OA-14's are? Thinking of getting a tube amp and want to make sure I have enough juice for them :) thanks!
12björn
Internationalization Team
Internationalization Team

Re: OA-14 specs

Post by 12björn »

I have no numbers on the sensitivity of OA14, but my overall impression is that Carlsson-speakers works well with tube amplifiers.

Though I have not tried it myself, I have a bunch of "Carlsson-friends" who prefer tube amping.

Go on an good luck!

Björn
...man går från oklarhet till oklarhet - det är det som kallas livet...
momus
(515+ posts)
(515+ posts)

Post by momus »

I´ve driven OA 14 with Quad II:s and LEAK Point One:s. Both amplifiers could deliver some 10 watts per channel. No problem. Could play very high. Sensitivity of the OA 14 I think is 89dB per 1 meter.
momus
(515+ posts)
(515+ posts)

Post by momus »

Sorry, it should be 89dB/1 meter/1watt
JoelRiehl
(50+ posts)
(50+ posts)

Post by JoelRiehl »

I don't know about OA-14s - but I took my OA-12s, with hifikit / grafpro upgrades to a meeting of Pacific NW Audio Society on Mercer Island. They hooked them up to a tube amp and CD player, and they sounded amazing. People came in the listening room, sat down and just didn't get up again. I would give it a try. I don't know how many watts that amp was putting out. I'll see if I can find out from the person who set it up.
Attachments
Sonab listening.jpg
starkiller
(30+ posts)
(30+ posts)

Post by starkiller »

Went ahead and ordered the amp, a Prinaluna Dialogue Four, has around 36WPC so unless I am cranking Slayer it should be ok. Will be interesting to hear how it compares with the Audire Forte I am currently using :)

thanks for all the thoughts everyone!
starkiller
(30+ posts)
(30+ posts)

Post by starkiller »

So, got the amp the other day and was curious if I should use the 4 or 8 ohm taps? Would prefer to have a consensus ahead of time as getting to the amp is a real PITA!

thanks!
JoelRiehl
(50+ posts)
(50+ posts)

Post by JoelRiehl »

I see no one has responded (and many who might are no doubt more knowledgeable than I), but from what I can see, the OA-14s are overall rated 8 ohm, as are both the mid-woofer and the tweeters. From what I can Google up, tapping into the 4 ohms may deliver a bit less power and a bit more sweetness, and will cause the transformers to run hotter, but seems to not be deadly. Evidently you can ruin the amp by driving a 0 ohm "load". Let us know how the amp / speaker combination sound for you!
starkiller
(30+ posts)
(30+ posts)

Post by starkiller »

Apologies for my late thanks to all who have contributed to this thread...still debating the 4 ohm vs 8 ohm taps as I muddled things up a bit for awhile as I got a set of Q Acoustics for the desktop. Both sets have their pro's and con's, have less then a week to return the Q Acoustics ones so I have to do a lot of listening and comparing....