OD-11 Tweeter Mount Missing

Ställ frågor, diskutera och prata om Sonab och deras produkter.
Ask questions, discuss and talk about Sonab and their products.
smithly
(1+ posts)
(1+ posts)

OD-11 Tweeter Mount Missing

Post by smithly »

Hello,
I picked up a pair of OD-11s in pretty good shape from an estate sale. Well, except for the surrounds, they are easy enough to replace but I may have to employ some sheet metal fabrication skills unless someone here knows where I can find a tweeter mount. Apparently the last person that was inside one of them lost the tweeter mount and secured the tweeter with hot glue. The driver came loose and instead of performing the same "fix" as was performed previously, I'd like to replace the bracket.

Anyone know where I can get one? I wonder, with the OD-11 being resurrected by Teenage Engineering, if there is a bracket available from Sonab?

Thanks for your time,
Lee
Tucson, AZ
smithly
(1+ posts)
(1+ posts)

Re: OD-11 Tweeter Mount Missing

Post by smithly »

Sorry! Should have posted in For Sale/Wanted.
Jonathan
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Jonathan »

smithly wrote:Sorry! Should have posted in For Sale/Wanted.
I actually think you are good to leave this post here. You are more asking if anyone knows where you can get this item, the Classifieds part of the forums are more for direct exchange between users, and your post might get lost in there. So I will let this post stay in here, you're good! :)
Jonathan Gulbrandsen - Webmaster
The Rules | Asking Questions The Smart Way
"There are two ways to write error-free code. Only the third one works."
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
bootstrap
(1+ posts)
(1+ posts)

Post by bootstrap »

Sonab from Stig Carlsson time have not been in businesses for a long time.

As the tweeter is old many of us have replaced it for a newer one making this mount obsolete, I might still have one but i am not sure. The screw however is reused on my new tweeter.

I can send a mount if I have one and find it, might take some days before I find the time to look. If so, I do want the shipping fee prepaid.. But I am sure you can make one your'e self with great results.

The even more expensive option is woofer and tweeter replacement and new filter for those. I have these replacements in 4 of my own OD 11 with great results.
http://www.hifikit.se/hogtalarelement/h ... ant/t22-oa
http://www.hifikit.se/hogtalarelement/h ... t/b65oa-iv

The woofer is based on Peerless 831881, that might be the cheaper option, IF it can be used instead (instead of dealing with shipment over seas and customs).

I did not find it but there is a great thread at http://www.faktiskt.se/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=17 Where a par of bigger Sonab speaker is renovated with the original woofer and tweeter, that might be of great use for you. For example it is advised to measure the tweeter to make sure it is good, if not it may burn your'e amplifier. It I find the thread i will post it here.
Faktiskt.se has more active members so I recommends you to ask there to. If I don't find a mount some other on faktiskt.se might help.
JoelRiehl
(50+ posts)
(50+ posts)

Post by JoelRiehl »

For the record, I had a bunch of stuff sent to the US from hifikit.se, and from grafpro, to rebuild a pair of OA-12s, and to my surprise, there were no customs charges applied (that I am aware of). So if you do want to try rebuilding / upgrading those OD11s, that shouldn't be an issue. The cost of the parts themselves on the other hand ..... If you do want to upgrade though, it's a fun little project, with very rewarding results.
bootstrap
(1+ posts)
(1+ posts)

Post by bootstrap »

I have no reply yet from Smithly, thus I have not taken the time to look if I still have a mount. Soon I will not be able to send it before February.
smithly
(1+ posts)
(1+ posts)

Post by smithly »

Wow! Thanks for the info and insights. I received an offer from another forum member last week that has a pair of mounts. He sent me a photo and I have yet to go to my storage unit to verify that the mounts he has are the same. This week for sure!

I will follow up and read those threads, they look very useful. If the deal doesn't work out with my first contact I may impose on you bootstrap and inquire if the opportunity you offer still exists. I will let you know within a week.
Thanks Again!
Lee
smithly
(1+ posts)
(1+ posts)

Post by smithly »

Jonathan wrote:
smithly wrote:Sorry! Should have posted in For Sale/Wanted.
I actually think you are good to leave this post here. You are more asking if anyone knows where you can get this item, the Classifieds part of the forums are more for direct exchange between users, and your post might get lost in there. So I will let this post stay in here, you're good! :)
Thanks Jonathon. :D I got the necessary action from this thread. And thank you for taking care of the Admin end of this forum.

Lee
smithly
(1+ posts)
(1+ posts)

Post by smithly »

bootstrap wrote:I have no reply yet from Smithly, thus I have not taken the time to look if I still have a mount. Soon I will not be able to send it before February.
bootstrap, It appears that I will have a pair of tweeter mounts on the way here shortly in exchange for a phono cartridge that I bought a number of years ago and never got around to using. Please don't trouble yourself further but I do appreciate your willingness.

Thanks and I will review those links thoroughly.

Lee
smithly
(1+ posts)
(1+ posts)

Post by smithly »

Addendum to my prior message. Oh Boy! Lots of good information on OD-11s! Now, if I could read Swedish I might know what the heck is going on. LOL! I will look for a means to translate. :)