OD-11's a bit bright....

Ställ frågor, diskutera och prata om Sonab och deras produkter.
Ask questions, discuss and talk about Sonab and their products.
starkiller
(30+ posts)
(30+ posts)

OD-11's a bit bright....

Post by starkiller »

Was wondering what are the general changes that you can make is positioning these to not be quite so bright. Have the two of them on separate bookcases on either side of the room. One is closer to the wall then the other. The left one has the tweeter in the upper right corner and the right one has it in the upper left corner.

Just general thoughts are fine since each room, gear and ears are different :)

Thanks!
momus
(515+ posts)
(515+ posts)

Re: OD-11's a bit bright....

Post by momus »

Firstly - if you have an original Sonab OD 11 you can adjust the amount of treble by adjusting the jumper on the baffle ( I think it is 1,5 dB down from the original setting).
I do not remember where to put the jumper for the lowest amount of treble. On my OD11:s the setting from the factory was marked with a red dot. Just pull them out, stick them in the others holes and listen.
Secondly: For me it sounds very strange that the speakers sound bright. They shouldn´t do. I have listened to several OD 11:s and brightness is not a term I would use, perhaps ”openess” . But I remember that they could sound ”anemic” with certain amplifiers. Once I used a modern Yamaha amplifier - the did sound bright and lifeless. I thought it was the room but when I used an old JVC amplifier from an advanced ”ghettoblaster”, the speakers came alive again, produced bass and sweet treble. They were not so room dependent, they were amplifier dependent.
As I remember, I had mine on the floor. Ca 2-3 meters apart. They sounded fantastic, especially with two LEAK Point One mono blocks. And a NAD preamplifier.
starkiller
(30+ posts)
(30+ posts)

Post by starkiller »

Will try the jumper then. Also read on the web that I can pull it out entirely but we shall see. Funny how the manual does not say anything about the jumper...??
STDI!
(515+ posts)
(515+ posts)

Post by STDI! »

If you pull them out completely all the resistors in the filter are in use. So that's the way to go if you want them less bright.
If you put the jumper closest to the woofer it will give most treble.
If you put the jumper as far away from the woofer as possible it's the same as removing the jumper (the "last" terminal is not connected at all).
If you put the jumper in the middle terminals you will have "middle" treble.
OD-11(T22+B65OAII), 3xOA12(T22+B65OAII), OA52.N, 3xL8, SC6, SC6.2
starkiller
(30+ posts)
(30+ posts)

Post by starkiller »

Thanks!
kennethjonsson
(1+ posts)
(1+ posts)

Post by kennethjonsson »

I would rather put them on the floor, close to the real wall. If the bookshelf provide the same bass support, then it should be fine.
But they are designed to use the floor/wall or even corner support to work as expected.

One other thing, having OA-14, OA-116 and OD-11 in my home, I have noticed that refurbished woofers give a whole new speaker.
For all three, I got amazed when the I had to replace the old and torn foam surround.
Some where broken and in some cases the foam appeared very brittle and fragile, so I contacted CarlssonPlanet for a replacements.
With new woofers and descent tweeter all tree sets now perform well.

I have a simple Quad 33/303 amplifier that works OK for all three set of speakers.
Carlsson speakers are not difficult to drive, so all amplifiers should work well as long as they do not clip the signal.

Good luck,
Kenneth Jonsson
Stockholm
Carlsson OD-11, OA-14, OA-116
Quad 33/303, Yamaha WXAD-10 streamer, Samsung tablet
starkiller
(30+ posts)
(30+ posts)

Post by starkiller »

So, moved a whole bunch of stuff around to try these on the floor. Much much better. here is a pic showing what I am fighting sound wise in my computer room...:)
computer room set up
computer room set up