Sonab OA116 and UTAH drivers - anyone heard of this?

Öppen kategori för diskussion av i princip vad som helst, så länge den håller sig till reglerna.
Open discussion about almost anything, as long as it stays within the rules.
ColesKing
(40+ posts)
(40+ posts)

Sonab OA116 and UTAH drivers - anyone heard of this?

Post by ColesKing »

Dear All,

I am posting this here in "General Chat" first as I am unsure where else to post this -I hope and trust that my questions will be answered!

I recently purchased these above speakers 2nd hand. They sound fantastic but I have noticed that the low-frequency driver unit under the grill mesh is UTAH.

Did people use these at some stage as replacements for the originals or were some speakers manufactured as original equipment by Sonab using these drivers?

Also is there anyway to tell when speaker boxes were manufactured from their serial numbers?

I heard (25 years ago) a pair of OA2212's play and vowed that I would buy some Sonabs one day. I've done this now and am thoroughly enjoying the musical experience.

ColesKIng
Martin Dellstig
Co-Editor
Co-Editor

Re: Sonab OA116 and UTAH drivers - anyone heard of this?

Post by Martin Dellstig »

Hi!

The only woofer ever used for the Sonab OA-116 is the Peerless SC-165 (6.5") in the 5.3 Ohms version.

The Utah is probably used as a replacement due to foam rot of the woofer. Therefore it might be a good idea to check the surrounds of the midrange unit also (SC-165, 16Ohms).

You can speakers from Hifikit (http://www.hifikit.se) in Stockholm, Sweden they do business abroad. You might try madisound in the US first, they have at least managed to get the 8 Ohms version of the SC-165.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Best regards

Martin
Jag vet inte, vet du?