What kind of music did Stig Carlsson listen to and like?

Ställ frågor, diskutera och prata om Carlssonhögtalare och tillbehör.
Ask questions, discuss and talk about Carlsson loudspeakers and accessories.
ColesKing
(40+ posts)
(40+ posts)

What kind of music did Stig Carlsson listen to and like?

Post by ColesKing »

Acoustically rich - for sure. Music that needed excellent speakers to bring out the richness and tonal variety if the recordings were good - sure.

He did not only develop his speakers in a lab - with cold, hard figures (I am an engineer myself). He did more than that - he gave us speakers that play music beautifully in ordinary rooms.

He himself must have had his own favourites that he used to help "fine-tune" the Sonabs. I would be quite interested to know what these pieces were, since this kind of music would be what these OA's would be best at.

My OA116's are playing downstairs at the moment while I type and will soon start to restore my OA2212 - they need new bass units.

Does anybody know what he used to like listening to?
Teacher
(1+ posts)
(1+ posts)

Re: What kind of music did Stig Carlsson listen to and like?

Post by Teacher »

ColesKing wrote:Acoustically rich - for sure. Music that needed excellent speakers to bring out the richness and tonal variety if the recordings were good - sure.

He did not only develop his speakers in a lab - with cold, hard figures (I am an engineer myself). He did more than that - he gave us speakers that play music beautifully in ordinary rooms.

He himself must have had his own favourites that he used to help "fine-tune" the Sonabs. I would be quite interested to know what these pieces were, since this kind of music would be what these OA's would be best at.

My OA116's are playing downstairs at the moment while I type and will soon start to restore my OA2212 - they need new bass units.

Does anybody know what he used to like listening to?
He liked classic music,Mozart and that stuff.He build the speakers from how the ears worked.
lob
(125+ posts)
(125+ posts)

Post by lob »

He liked classic music,Mozart and that stuff.He build the speakers from how the ears worked
He was a man who liked advantgarde classical music.
I dont think he was a Mozart man.
He did not like stereophonic recording.
He made several monophonic recordings who sounds marvelous
even with todays standard.

Symfoni nr 3
Hilding Rosenberg
Konserthuset 1966
CSLP1071 (MONO)

Sinfonie Capricieuse
Franz Berwald
Stockholmsfilharmonikerna
Dir. Antil Dorati

Expo Norr, Riks LP 18
- Stråkkvartett nr.2 / Jan Carlstedt
- Opus 22 / Sven Erik Bäck
- Favola / Lars Johan Wärle
Pentagram

Tre sonater för soloviolin
Hilding Rosenborg
Expo Norr Riks LP 10 (MONO)
RIKS LP 6 (MONO) Graverad av SC

Forma Feritonans
Karl-Birger Blomdahl
Expo Norr Riks LP 2

Phono Suecia PM 1
- Szene II / Bo Nilsson
- Manzit / Karl Erik Welin
- Riposte II / Ziegfried Neumann
- Souni d'un fluto / Åke Hermansson

Svenskt 60 tal
Artist ALP 102 (MONO)
Nordiska Musikförlag

Lasse
Plinius M-16
Mcintosh MC275
B&O Beogram 8002
B&O Beogram 9000
Squezzebox
SlimDevices Transporter
Ino pip högtalare
Kristian
(50+ posts)
(50+ posts)

Post by Kristian »

Benjamin Britten
Sinfonia da Requiem, Peter Grimes (havsmellanspel och passacaglia)
Gustav Holst: The Perfect Fool (balett), Egdon Heath London Symphony Orchestra, dir. Andre Previn
EMI 5 62615 2

This recording was one of Stigs favorites according to LTS:s site (Ljud Tekniska Sällskapet(society)).

I don't know what to call the society in english :?
OA 14.3Y
erkan
(1+ posts)
(1+ posts)

Post by erkan »

I have run a couple of Carlsson speakers to my computer for at least 5-6 years. They have an incredible sound with computer tunes like Commodore 64 music and Amiga modules. I also used to listen to Drum and bass which rely much on heavy bass. My Carlssons played the bass so low my appartment almost shaked.

I also remember the first time I played We are the robots by Kraftwerk. I got a 100 % pure sound that felt so fresh and good you could almost feel as if that song came out in 1998 (the year I played it on my Carlssons).

I used to run Carlsson OA-5 and the smaller version of OA-5 together.

Incredible for 25 years old speakers!
Paul
(10+ posts)
(10+ posts)

Post by Paul »

Stig Carlsson enjoyed music of many kinds.

His collection was perpetually in a state of flux; he was no hoarder. Stig Carlsson frequently exchanged LPs and CDs and was always on the look-out for new, preferably iconoclastic, interpretations of established works as well as for cutting-edge new music.

New musical experiences, good musical performances and recordings giving much of the excitement from a live performance could be expected whenever you visited him. Listening sessions at his house could go on from evening till morning. One never wanted to leave; there was always one more record beckoning.

He could be relied on to find recordings with a you-are-there feeling, presenting information regarding the acoustic properties of the recording venue. Many of his long-term favourites were recorded using one well-placed omnidirectional microphone with flat frequency response, two for stereo. His tone balance control (a better one than those known from commercially available pre-amplifiers such as Quad 34 or Luxman C-1000) was used to good effect to improve the tonal balance of strident and bass-shy recordings.

Some of the recordings were there for demonstration purposes, others for listening tests of loudspeakers and other components, but most records were there for the pure pleasure of discovery and rediscovery.

Stig had an impressive collection of world music, lots of avant-garde serious music, a good jazz collection, an interesting selection of well-recorded good folk/rock/pop, and seminal interpretations of serious music from the Renaissance to the present. Bartok and Stravinsky were well represented, as were Bach, Mozart, Mahler and many other composers.

Music by Maderna played by Heinz Holliger could be followed by an orchestral work composed by Sofia Gubaidulina and recorded in Stockholm, a location recording from an African village, jazz standards played at an Air Force base by Duke Ellington and his orchestra, something spaced-out by Brian Eno, Elly Ameling singing Exsultate Jubilate, Britten's Variations on a theme by Frank Bridges, some New Orleans jazz on 78 (played with optimal frequency correction, naturally), a Viennese waltz, something by Harry Partch, Beethoven conducted by Roy Goodman, Live is Life with Arne Domnérus, early Joan Baez or Joan Armatrading, and a large dose of Mahler.

Stig Carlsson wanted listeners to make new discoveries!
ColesKing
(40+ posts)
(40+ posts)

Thanks for the reply and ...

Post by ColesKing »

... inside information.

I can imagine for those who knew him that it must have been quite some experience to spend an evening with him.

My own love affair with Sonab speakers goes back to when I was a student and first heard a pair of OA2212 play (1979). I vowed later to see if I could buy a pair since they were to my ears the most complete sound I ever heard out of speakers. Sonab was relatively unknown then (it still is, really) so I was not influenced by the "name" in my assessment of their quality. I was successful in finding two pairs of OA116 (the one pair is playing in my lounge at the moment) and recently - BINGO - I found a pair of OA2212 that only need their woofers re-edged. I will do this one of these days.

One extra bit of info I would not mind having (even an educated guess is OK) is how many OA2212 were ever manufactured.

But, thanks for the help so far.

ColesKing
Martin Dellstig
Co-Editor
Co-Editor

Post by Martin Dellstig »

Hi

I'm sorry to say that we have no relevant information on how many speakers were produced of the different models from Sonab.

We're looking for this info but it is hard to find.

Best regards

Martin
Jag vet inte, vet du?
Ragnwald
(200+ posts)
(200+ posts)

Post by Ragnwald »

I know he was a big jazzdigger as well. I had a long two hours discussion with Stig on this subject, as long ago as 1970.
But, sorry can´t remember the artists.
Bought my OA-2212 just when they com on the market. My 5th pair of Carlssonspeakers. :)
Den som vet mest, tror minst.