Sonab OA 116 repair instructions?

Ställ frågor, diskutera och prata om Carlssonhögtalare och tillbehör.
Ask questions, discuss and talk about Carlsson loudspeakers and accessories.
sds
(1+ posts)
(1+ posts)

Sonab OA 116 repair instructions?

Post by sds »

I have a pair of Sonab OA 116 speakers (rosewood), which I bought in
1977. It goes without saying that they are awesome. However, the
foam surround on the midrange and bass elements (the SC165 elements) has
now deteriorated. I have found a company in L.A. that will sell me a
re-edge kit, but I need to be able to remove the midrange and bass
elements from the speaker cabinets. I haven't tried to remove the midrange
elements yet, but they look easy (four screws, it appears). However, I
can't figure out how to remove the bass elements. I have removed all
the 12 screws out of the bottom of the cabinet, but it doesn't seem to
want to separate from the rest of the cabinet. Does anyone have any idea on how to get the
bass element out of the cabinet? Are there any disassembly
instructions available anywhere?
nagref
(330+ posts)
(330+ posts)

Post by nagref »

Hello!

The bottom can be a bit tricky to get off even on relatively newly repaired speakers but try to knock it off (preferably from behind where accidental marks are not som visible) with a hammer (and a piece of wood for protecting the bottom baffle).
Delägare i Acoustic Illusion AB. Assisterar Holographic Audio samt Larsen hifi
sds
(1+ posts)
(1+ posts)

Re: Sonab OA 116 repair instructions?

Post by sds »

Nagref,
I gave it a couple of good whacks with a hammer, but nothing happened. Do I need to first remove the screws that hold the Cannon connector on the bottom? Do I need to also remove the wheels and wheel sockets? I would think the bottom would perhaps lift upward, but you are telling me to knock it sideways? I take it that you have actually been able to remove the bottom on a similar set of speakers?

Regards,
Frustrated SDS
rylandes
(150+ posts)
(150+ posts)

Post by rylandes »

Hi!

No you only remove the screws around the edge of the bottom (bass) baffle.
There is a strip of rubber between the bottom baffle and the cabinet. It's been squeased hard for many years and it holds the parts together like glue.

I removed the 2 top baffles with the mid and the tweeters. Then I took a piece of wood long enough to reach from the top to the bottom inside the speaker. And clubbed it with a hammer to separate the 2 peaces. You must be very careful where you place the piece of wood in the bottom. Preferably between the woofers on one side more than an inch from the edge.

Or you could try to separate the peaces with a thin yet unbending knife. You put it between the top of the bass baffle and the box and work your way around the edge.

Good luck
Sten R
sds
(1+ posts)
(1+ posts)

Post by sds »

Sten,
Thanks for the good instructions and advice. I will try your method soon and let you know the results.

Regards,
Dave :)
sds
(1+ posts)
(1+ posts)

Post by sds »

Dear Sten R.,
I finally had a chance to follow your instructions for removing the bottom from the Sonab OA116 speakers. The instructions worked perfectly. I had to take the whole top assembly off (with the midrange and tweeters), and disconnect a couple of wires. Then I had to push some of the insulation aside. It pushed aside easiest in about the middle of one of the long sides. Then I used a 5/8" wooden dowel rod that I had laying around and beat the bottom once and the bottom popped off along one side and then I was able to pull it and the long tube out of the cabinet.

Thanks! :D :D
Dave
rylandes
(150+ posts)
(150+ posts)

Post by rylandes »

Glad to hear it
Cheers!
Sten
kenyasanchez
(1+ posts)
(1+ posts)

Post by kenyasanchez »

This is probably really old information but when removing the bottom of the speaker cabinet to get to the woofer, pull it out slowly, about 3 or 4 inches, and look at where the wires are connected. I pulled mine out too far and the wires came loose. I'm replacing woofers on both speakers so I'll go slow on the second one and rectify my mistake from the first one.